Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A day in the life of a doula...

It's a lovely Tuesday morning and I thought it would be fun to share a day in the life of a doula. At the moment, I am in the office working on advertising for a few of ALACE's doula workshops coming up in the next few months. Today, I am also planning to write an article for ALACE's quarterly publication, Special Delivery about my time spent at the Midwifery Today Conference in Philadelphia that happened in April. It was amazing- learning from experienced midwives like Ina May Gaskin and Naoli Vinaver. I was in constant awe of the amazing work of my fellow birth activists and professionals and have to share with the ALACE membership how great that type of experience was.

After work, I will be going to a naming ceremony for my most recent client's little baby girl. Lots of raving about how cute she is (she is REALLY beautiful) will ensue, followed by delicious snacks and hor d'ouvres. And, after that, I meet up with our very own Sara Kennedy in a tea shop in Harvard Square to "doula" each other on our paths to midwifery. Sara and I both have shared aspirations to midwifery along with many of the same hopes, fears, and questions about how to fulfill our goals. It is awesome to share that with her and to have someone who will listen and understand. I always say that everyone needs a life doula- when is it bad to have someone supporting you, relaxing you, and encouraging your own strength? I say never!

Hopefully, after all this will come sleep! Have a great day yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home