Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Moving into Mother: Art, Theology and Practice



Artist Statement for Corina Pinkerton

In addition to being a Creative Birth Doula, I am a new mother to Coleman Amory Pinkerton, born August 30, 2006. As part of an independent study at Harvard Divinity School I explored my transition into motherhood as a spiritual journey and reflected on that process through creating art.

Rather than trying to find time outside of the daily demands of parenting to meditate or make art I tried to see my time with Manny as sacred. I would brainstorm new projects while breastfeeding and gather materials while wearing the baby around our neighborhood. In so doing I wanted to challenge my assumption that to pray or paint properly I would need to separate myself from the intensity of my new life as a mother.

I make art out of a variety of materials. Much of my work came from recycled or natural materials found on our walks (leaves, twigs, paper). I created mobiles because I wanted to make pieces which might appeal to Coleman and other babies who are important in my life.

Other work I produced focused on the pregnant and post-partum body: including placenta prints (using my placenta and blood which we froze for four months) and body casts of plaster gauze.

Through the process of creating art I hoped to remind myself that the intensity of early motherhood is temporary and to be awake to the joys and challenges of life with Coleman. Soon the leaves in the mobiles will break down and my belly casts will crumble and so will this season with a little baby pass.

Lastly, I see many of the pieces I produced this fall as prayers in motion—prayers for myself during this tender time, prayers for my child as he grows, and prayers for my partner, extended family and friends. The mobiles and prayer flags remind me that the Holy Spirit moves in my life in ways which I do not control and for which I am thankful.

I would like to thank Amy Hollywood, my adviser at Harvard Divinity School for her feedback and my husband, Richard Amory, for his support. (He provided hours of childcare most weekends and took many of the photos of my work I share here.)

If you are interested in learning more about my artwork, or would like support in developing your own pregnancy/mother art please contact me at cpinkerton@hds.harvard.edu.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home